‘Maximum Searches are for Indian Recipes’, says Bawarchi.com
“91% of all online searches related to food are for Indian recipes,” says the annual report by Bawarchi.com
Chennai, Wednesday, December 17, 2014: Bawarchi.com, an online community dedicated to foodies, revealed interesting food habits earlier today. The study reveals 91% of all online searches related to food are for Indian recipes; both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
This study is based on over 4 million visits and searches across 25,000 food recipes on Bawarchi.com, in the last one year.
Food Category split:
Indian food continues to be most searched-for cuisine across vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, and accounts for 91% of the overall searches. This is followed by Italian, Chinese, Continental and American cuisines.
While 40% people look for vegetarian food online, the remaining 60% look for non-vegetarian.
Insights on vegetarian food searches:
- Indian vegetarian cuisines account for 97% searches.
- Dry gravy (33%), more popularly known as subzis, and served as accompaniments to Indian bread and rice are the most widely searched for food course.
- Indian vegetarians preferred gravies made of paneer and soya.
- Starters made of Paneer are the most searched-for.
- Most popular method of cooking searched-for include stewing, followed by sauté and frying.
Insights on non-vegetarian food searches:
- Here too, Indian cuisines top the chart with 85% people looking for it, followed by Fusion and Continental.
- Dry gravies (43%) are most searched-for non-vegetarian food. Chicken, followed by red meat and sea food were the main ingredients.
- Most popular starters were those made of chicken.
- Stewing, followed by shallow and deep frying are the most searched-for cooking methods for non-vegetarian dishes.
International cuisine trends:
- Pastas and Pizzas are the most searched-for Italian foods.
- Among Chinese food, Momos, fried rice, noodles and soups are most searched-for.
- Interestingly, Indians mainly search for dessert options in the Continental and American cuisines.
- Spanish and Arabic are most preferred Mediterranean cuisines followed by Turkish.
Other interesting findings:
- It is interesting to note that about 15% people look for food for kids.
- 49% people look for recipes for their main part of the meal course which includes side dishes, followed by Starters (19%) and Desserts (14%).
- Indians prefer parathas and idlis for breakfast. This is followed by recipes made of oats.
- Fried food are the most searched-for food cooking method. Fish fry, crispy corn and chicken spring rolls being the most popular deep fried food item, whereas Chicken Fry, Keerai Adai and Sooji ka cheela are most popular shallow fried food item.
Commenting on the study, Arun Rajamani, Head – Portals, Sify Technologies said, “With over 25,000 recipes on Bawarchi.com, we are the largest aggregator of food recipes online. It was fascinating to delve into the minds of our consumers and create perhaps the first scientific study on what food, methodologies and types were popular. It is interesting to note that Indian cuisine are the most popular among our visitors worldwide. To make the portal more interactive and user-friendly, we recently revamped Bawarchi.com. That, and the continuous increase in our recipe database should give us a larger canvas of study in the coming years.”