How to make Bean Soup with cabbage: a winter recipe to stay healthy
Hot yummy soups make a perfect dish on a cold winter night, and when you are talking of healthy winter soup recipes then cabbage cannot be left out. Rich in nutrition and full of health benefits cabbage is the main ingredient for many winter soup recipes. Cabbage soup recipes are tasty and very good for health. A bowl of Bean soup with cabbage, winter squash and farro is a perfect healthy meal on a cold winter night.
Basic ingredients required to cook up Bean Soup, one of the healthy winter delicacies-
• Borlotti or pinto beans, soaked overnight or for six hours in 1 quart water : 1/2 pound
• Extra virgin Olive oil: 2 table spoon
• Medium sized chopped onions: 1
• Medium sized chopped carrot: 1
• Small finely chopped celery stalk with leaves: 1
• Fresh chopped sage: 2 teaspoon
• Minced garlic, clove: 4
• Shredded green cabbage: 1 pound
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Dried and crumbled rosemary: 1/2 Teaspoon
• Farro: 1/2 cup (cooked)
• Shredded, diced and peeled butternut squash: 2 cups
• Can chopped tomatoes: 14 ounce
• A bouquet garni made with a few sprigs, thyme and parsley, 2 sage leaves and a Parmesan rind.
• For serving: Freshly grated Parmesan
How to cook steps
• Take a heavy soup pot or use a Dutch oven.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in medium flame.
• Cook the onions for 3 minutes until it gets soften.
• Add carrot, celery and sage.
• Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
• Add half garlic, and cook for 1 minute until the fragrance comes out.
• Add cabbage and a pinch of salt to taste.
• Stir and cook for about 10 minutes until the cabbage becomes limp.
• Add soaked beans along with squash, bouquet garni and 2 quarts water in the pot.
• Add salt to taste.
• Reduce the heat and boil for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beans become tender.
• Remove the bouquet garni, and discard it
• Take a medium-size nonstick skillet.
• Heat the remaining olive oil in medium heat.
• Add the remaining garlic and rosemary.
• Put the tomatoes and stir well, add salt to taste.
• Cook and stir for 10 – 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the mixture becomes thick
• Stir the soup along with the farro (farro has been already cooked earlier)
• Simmer and cook for another 30 minutes.
• Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
• Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.